Disclosure – I was sent this product to review and this post contains affiliate links. All opinions are 100% my own.
Athletes of all ages and levels deal with sore muscles and minor aches and pains on a regular basis. For some, just a little rest and stretching is all it needs but for others, a little more relief is needed.
Popular over-the-counter pain relieving creams contain methyl salicylate (and other inactive chemical ingredients), which can be synthetically manufactured or derived from wintergreen oil (which is highly toxic in its pure form). You may remember reading about a 17 year old track star who died from an accidental overdose of methyl salicylate while using BenGay.
LATHER, known for its natural products that are vegan and synthetic fragrance free, has created its own line of products specifically for relieving the pain associated with minor aches, pains and muscle stiffness resulting from physical activity. Their Muscle Ease Gel with botanical pain relievers provides fast acting relief on contact.
Muscle Ease Gel is formulated with centuries-old plant extracts used by the native tribes of Northern Mexico along with menthol, camphor and capsaicin to create a unique warming and cooling sensation.
Other features of LATHER's Muscle Ease Gel:
- Free of waxes, oils, parabens, sulfates, mineral oil and synthetic fragrance and colors.
- Both PETA and Leaping Bunny certified cruelty free
While I really like the Muscle Ease Gel to rub on sore muscles and joints after a work out, my daughter does not like the warming sensation as it almost feels too hot for her. She prefers the Muscle Ease Bath Salts which combines Himalayan and Epson salt along with aromatherapy to get her post-workout relief.
A few tips for using LATHER's Muscle Ease Gel:
- The product works best after your workout. I find that if you apply the gel prior to workout the additional blood flow and increased body temperature amplify the cooling and heating sensation too much.
- Do not use in conjunction with an ice pack or heating pad. Wait until the Muscle Ease Gel has been fully absorbed and is no longer creating a cooling or warming sensation before you apply ice or heat.
- Be sure to wash your hands well after apply the Muscle Ease Gel – you definitely do not want to rub this near your eyes or ingest it internally.
- Do not apply more than 3-4 times per day.
While there many similar products on the market that provide temporary relief of muscle aches and pains (I also like Arnica gel and Biofreeze), the more of LATHER's products I try, the more they are becoming my go-to brand for natural skincare and wellness products. The fact that they do not use synthetic fragrances is a huge factor in my decision making.
If you are looking for a natural product to relieve minor muscle aches, backaches, arthritis pain and stiffness as well and general joint pain, give LATHER a try. You will love the way their products smell and the quality ingredients they put into them.